Wednesday, May 27, 2015

haunted

I pity the woman who will love you when I am done. She will show up to your first date with a dustpan and broom, ready to pick up all the pieces I left you in. She will hear my name so often it will begin to dig holes in her.

That is where doubt will grow.

She will look at your neck, your thin hips, your mouth, wondering at the way I touched you. She will make you all the promises I did and some I never could. She will only hear the terrible stories. How I drank. How I lied.

She will wonder (as I have) how someone as wonderful as you could love a monster like the woman who came before her. Still, she will compete with my ghost.

She will understand why you do not look in the back of closets. Why you are afraid of what's under the bed. She will know every corner of you is haunted by me.


No comments:

Post a Comment